Representatives of opposition leader Henrique Capriles’ campaign team this afternoon handed over documents to the National Electoral Council (CNE) to request a recount of 100% of the votes. 54% of the votes were audited on Monday, and no problems found.
This afternoon president Maduro said the opposition’s call for a general strike today had “failed”. He also blamed the losing candidate in Sunday’s elections, Henrique Capriles, for the seven deaths last night.
Venezuela awoke today in a climate of uncertainty after government candidate Nicolas Maduro narrowly won yesterday’s presidential election and the opposition disputed the result, calling for a vote recount.
Nicolas Maduro has won the Venezuelan presidential election with 50.66 percent of the vote against 49.07 percent for opposition candidate Henrique Capriles Radonski. Maduro gave a victory speech immediately after, while Capriles has recognized the defeat.
The voting process in Venezuela today has been peaceful, with a large turnout, and so far only minor incidencents. As opposition candidate Henrique Capriles voted, he called publically for an “avalanche” of his supporters at the booths at 2pm, while government candidate Nicolas Maduro affirmed he would accept the election results.
This morning United Socialist Party of Venezuela (PSUV) leader Diosdado Cabello presented evidence, including phone recordings, documents, and emails, allegedly proving that the opposition has plans to not recognise the 14 April presidential election results.
Tonight rightwing candidate Henrique Capriles said that he will not sign a National Electoral Council (CNE) document to guarantee that he would recognise the results of the 14 April presidential elections.