Venezuelan president Nicolas Maduro said Friday he will not tolerate any more violence from the opposition, after government buildings were vandalized on Friday in response to the postponement of opposition leader Leopoldo Lopez's trial.
Early this morning Venezuelan attorney general Luisa Ortega Diaz dispatched a public attorney to Ramo Verde military prison, to check on conditions of hardline opposition leader Leopoldo Lopez’s confinement. This came in response to claims made by Lopez’s wife, Lilian Tintori, who told reporters last week she was denied visiting rights.
Several figures within the hard-line faction of the Venezuelan opposition are facing charges of conspiracy and instigation of violence in relation to their activities during the opposition’s recent unrest movement.
The international community should demand a cease and desist of all foreign intervention into Venezuelan affairs and support a peaceful solution of the crisis by the democratically elected government of Nicolas Maduro.
Venezuelan opposition leader Leopoldo López has been thrust onto the international stage during the past week of protests in Venezuela and his arrest on February 21. López is mentioned at least 77 times in diplomatic cables released by Wikileaks.
At a large opposition march in Caracas, far right leader Leopoldo Lopez handed himself in to the National Guard. Other large opposition and pro-government rallies and marches were held peacefully around the country.