The website Venezuelanalysis.com is looking for a hard-working and self-motivated activist interested in spreading the word about what is happening in Venezuela.
This is a part-time position that requires approximately three days per week, including two full writing days plus tasks to be performed on other days throughout the week. Writers are expected to be flexible to negotiate schedule changes as conditions demand.
- Write two days per week for Venezuelanalysis.com
- Occasionally write analysis articles that explore certain issues in-depth and with plenty of context.
- Translate articles from Spanish to English.
- Stay up to date on the news and participate in daily editorial meetings with other writers.
- Edit and post articles, video, and audio files.
- Collaborate with website administration, sending the weekly newsletter, and ongoing small responsibilities, as decided by the VA team collectively.
- Participate in periodic board meetings and fundraising efforts, which may require extra hours of work especially during the month of December.
- Excellent English writing skills, preferably with some alternative media experience
- Strong spoken Spanish and ability to follow the news in Venezuela, interview people, and to translate from Spanish to English.
- Knowledge of and an interest in Venezuela and its politics, dedicated to reporting on the news that the mainstream media leave out.
- Politically progressive and a strong sense of solidarity with Venezuela’s majority.
- Currently living in Venezuela, have access to the internet. Previous experience living and working in Latin America a plus.
- Monthly salary in local currency – a good salary by Venezuelan standards (low by first world standards)
- Unfortunately, no other benefits are included (such as health care)
- Paid vacation of one week for every three months of work
To apply: Send cover letter, résumé with two to three references, and writing samples to firstname.lastname@example.org. We need to hire someone as soon as possible, so please apply right away.