Mérida, 26thApril 2013 (Venezuelanalysis.com) – After striking a deal with the National Electoral Council for an audit of the April 14 elections last week, yesterday opposition leader Henrique Capriles called for a boycott of the process. He then vowed to contest the results in Venezuela’s Supreme Court.
Reiterating his demands for a total audit of just under 15 million fingerprints and signatures, Capriles then told media that “if we don’t have access to the registers, we are not going to participate”.
“We’re not going to take part in an audit that would be a joke on Venezuelans and a joke on the world.”
“The next step will be to contest the election [outcome]… in the next few days. With all the proof… we now have, we are going to challenge the election,” he said.
While stating that he does not expect “the Supreme Court to give us a favourable reply”, Capriles said that would go “go through all the legal procedures”.
He then called for opposition supporters to protest on 1 May, a move criticised by the government.
Today, Bolivarian Socialist Workers’ Central General Coordinator Carlos Lopez told media that over half a million Chavistas are expected to march on May Day, and expressed fears that the opposition intends to create violence.
An investigation into Capriles’ role in a wave of violence involving opposition protesters following the 14 April elections is already under way, and Prisons Minister Iris Varela has publicly stated “we are preparing a cell for you [Capriles] because you must pay for your crimes”.
Opposition protests resumed on Wednesday night, after a televised government announcement interrupted a live interview with Capriles on Globovision.
The announcement accused Capriles of fomenting violence following the elections, under the false pretext of electoral fraud.
The National Electoral Council is expected to announce the start of the audit later today.