Merida, March 12th 2013 (Venezuelanalysis.com) – Last night interim President Nicolas Maduro announced that the government will form a state commission to investigate the illness which caused Hugo Chavez’s death last Tuesday.
Maduro said the government is working on the formation of the commission and will soon announce the people who will make it up. The government will also invite “important scientists from different countries” to help with the investigation.
The government will form the commission based on its “intuition” that Chavez “was poisoned by dark forces in order to hit at the Venezuelan people and Latin America,” Maduro said.
The interim president also said that the government will reveal the type of cancer Chavez had “at the right time”.
“The type of cancer he had didn’t correspond with any of the normal behaviours of the illness. He received a lot of death threats, maybe they didn’t manage to do it through a direct attempt [on his life]... everything seems to indicate that they managed to affect his health using the most advanced techniques,” Maduro said on Telesur last night.
He reminded listeners that in the 1940s the United States had “science laboratories where they experimented with causing cancer...seventy years have passed, could they have progressed from there?”
However, Maduro repeated twice that “I’m not accusing the United States, at this time”.
Chavez was first diagnosed with cancer in 2011. At the time he wondered, “Would it be so strange that they’ve invented the technology to spread cancer and we won’t know about it for 50 years?” He alluded to a coincidence that three other left wing Latin American leaders had also been diagnosed with cancer: Brazil’s president, Dilma Rousseff; Paraguay’s Fernando Lugo; and the former Brazilian leader Luiz Inácio Lula da Silva.
According to the Huffington Post, the US State Department called Maduro’s initial allegation of “possible poisoning” made last week a few hours before Chavez’s death, “absurd”.
Chavez died aged 58.